Chair of Corporate Finance & Higher Education Finance
The Chair is part of the Department of Finance, Accounting and Real Estate. Our research and teaching activities focus on two general areas, corporate finance and higher education financing & management. Within finance, we are particularly interested in the funding of privately held companies using venture capital & private equity as well as SME/family business financing. Within higher education, we focus especially on restructuring, reputation management and entrepreneurialism.
The overarching theme for all our activities is the management of risk. We have done considerable work in the past on corporate risk management and are currently particularly interested in novel themes such as anti-fragility, resilience and organizational flexibility.
Venture Capital & Private Equity
Financing of Privately Held Companies (SMEs, Family Businesses)
Higher Education Financing and Restructuring
• »Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection in the Venture Capital Industry in the U.S. and Europe«, in: Journal of Small Business Management, forthcoming (Ulrich Hommel with C. Bellavitis, D. S. Kamuriwo).
• »Mitigating Agency Risk Between Investors and Ventures’ Managers«, in: Journal of General Management, Vol. 43, No. 1, 2017, pp. 33-43 (Ulrich Hommel with C. Bellavitis, D. S. Kamuriwo).
• »Testing Weighting Approaches for Forecasting in a Group Wisdom Support System Environment« in: Journal of Business Research, Vol. 69, No. 10, 2016, pp. 4081-4094 (Ulrich Hommel with H. A. v. d. Gracht, T. Prokesch, H. Wohlenberg).
• »Determinants of Liquidity (Re-)Allocation and the Decision to Cross- List or Cross-Delist«, in: International Journal of Finance & Economics, Vol. 21, No. 4, 2016, pp. 447-471 (Ulrich Hommel with R. Füss, J.-C. Plagge).
• »The State of Risk Management in Business Schools«, in: Journal of Management Development, Vol. 35, No. 5, 2016, pp. 606-622 (Ulrich Hommel with W. Li, A. Pastwa).
• »Venture Capital Contracting in Theory and Practice: Implications for Entrepreneurship Research«, in: Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Vol. 40, No. 1, 2016, pp. 25-48 (Ulrich Hommel with C. Billitteri, J. Burchardt, D. S. Kamuriwo).