For further details on our doctoral rules and the admission procedure, please feel free to contact us.
Study a doctorate successfully
EBS Law School accompanies all doctoral students on their way to a doctorate in law with a structured programme under the direction of Professor Dr. iur. Emanuel V. Towfigh. You will benefit from intensive personal supervision by experienced legal scholars and close exchange with other doctoral students.
All participants learn how to approach their doctorate in an organised and systematic way. The basics of scientific work are taught as well as valuable methodological skills. Various events and offers create the best conditions for writing a dissertation within two years that is both scientifically sound and relevant to practice. The doctorate provides the analytical tools for further scientific work - and also ensures outstanding career opportunities and a higher income in practice.
At a glance
- Degree: Doctor of Laws (Dr. iur.)
- Duration of study: 2 academic years divided into six trimesters
- Tuition fees: For members of an SRH University 450 € per semester | external doctoral students: 900 € per semester
Head of the doctoral office
Advantages Structured and practice-oriented
- Outstanding support
- Personal support
- Experienced professors
- Wide range of content
- Academic exchange
- Two years of intensive support on the way to your degree
Programme structure Two years to success
The two-year programme is divided into six trimesters. The contents build systematically on each other: The targeted introduction to academic work is followed by courses focusing on material and content. The programme is supplemented by regular colloquia, which serve to promote exchange among the doctoral students and with EBS teaching staff and practitioners. In addition, students can deepen their knowledge of the English language in the Legal English course.
Process of a doctorate at EBS Law School
- Application for admission to the Doctoral Office of the University (§ 6 of the Doctoral Regulations).
- Acceptance as a doctoral candidate (§ 7 PromO)
- Preparation of the dissertation
- Submission of the dissertation and initiation of the doctoral procedure (§ 9 PromO)
- Examination and interpretation of the dissertation (§§ 12, 13 PromO)
- Disputation (oral examination) (§ 15 PromO)
- Award of the academic degree of Dr. of Law (Dr. iur.)
Application process Admission requirements
The requirements are set out in the doctoral regulations and are presented briefly.
The prerequisite for a doctorate at EBS Law School is, in principle, the successful completion of the first or second state law examination with full marks.
For degrees other than those mentioned in No. 1 (e.g. state examinations assessed as satisfactory; law diploma or law master's degree; degrees from other academic disciplines as well as degrees acquired abroad), admission to doctoral studies is only possible with additional qualifications (e.g. language certificates, seminar and examination performance) (cf. §§ 3, 4 PromO). In these cases, the doctoral committee decides on admission.
The doctorate at EBS Law School follows the traditional model, in which the supervision of the dissertation at our faculty is carried out individually by a professor. In order to find the doctoral supervisor who corresponds to the topic of your doctoral project, please contact the chairs. Comprehensive insights into the current research foci can be found on the respective websites of the chairs.
Study costs An invest in your future
Internal doctoral students
- Registration fee: 100 Euro
- Tuition fees: 450 euros per semester
- Examination fee: 200 Euro
- RMV Ticket (optional): 126,72 Euro
External doctoral students
- Registration fee: 500 Euro
- Tuition fees: 900 euros per semester
- Examination fee: 200 Euro
- RMV ticket (optional): 126.72 euros
Further information on tuition fees can be found in the fee schedule.