Headergrafik - Weinfest

Preserving the past

2017-03-29 | By: Jana Stelz, Head of Communications / Press Spokeswoman
EBS - Pressebild - Universitätsarchiv
EBS inaugurates University Archives together with founder Professor Klaus Evard

The first index of lectures, the purchase contract for Reichartshausen Castle, the official certificate confirming recognition as an institute of higher education – all these documents from the earliest years of the EBS are the cornerstone for a Historical Collection, which was initiated by the University Management and the Business Management in the presence of founder Dr. Klaus Evard. The collection documents the history of Germany’s oldest private business school and is to be extended progressively. On the occasion of the EBS’s 50th anniversary, the archive is to be presented to visitors.

Not only student yearbooks and important certificates relating to the operation and administration of the University, but also contemporary advertising and documents outlining the careers of well-known alumni and employees will be collected and exhibited in the Archives. As EBS Managing Director Dr. Thorsten Bagschik explains: “With an eye on the 50th anniversary of the EBS in 2021, we aim to keep the history of our University alive and to make it accessible to future generations.”

Founding father with heart and soul It all began in 1967 with a vacant shoe factory in Paris, 17 highly motivated students, and the goal of establishing an institute with the primary focus on entrepreneurial business rather than on pure economics. The founder of the EBS Prof. Dr. Klaus Evard wanted to teach his students to think and act creatively, to collaborate, and to get involved. “We took our cue from American universities and established a business school which is inspired by the spirit of its students and its alumni. This spirit has always been ingrained in the DNA of the EBS and has been a cornerstone of the University right to the present day.” Following a brief period in Offenbach, the institute ultimately relocated to Reichartshausen Castle in Oestrich-Winkel.

Reichartshausen Castle, the present headquarters of the EBS Business School, has a special significance as far as the Archives are concerned. President Prof. Dr. Markus Ogorek sums up: “We are very keen to honor this landmark building in the Rheingau region in a special way – and at the same time to express the EBS’s strong attachment to this area.” The Castle has been home to the EBS since 1980 and continues to be a center of teaching, learning and intercultural exchange. The Castle Campus is “home” to the majority of the 2,327 students currently enrolled at the EBS.

Active participation in the archiving work In addition to the archive material which is currently on the premises of the EBS and which is now being collated and systematically recorded, there are plans to add further items to the collection. Accordingly, the EBS University is cordially inviting its alumni, associates and neighbors to play a part in the work of the Archives.

Contact EBS Historical Collection Stefan Schmidt +49 611 / 7102-1583 Stefan.Schmidt@ebs.edu

Photo (from left to right): EBS President Prof. Dr. Markus Ogorek with founder Prof. Dr. Klaus Evard, Managing Director Dr. Thorsten Bagschik and Chancellor Peter Schmidt at the inauguration ceremony for the EBS University Archive.

all press releases

Contact
Jana Stelz
Head of Communications / Press Spokeswoman
+49 611 7102 1681
+49 611 7120 10 1681
jana.stelz@ebs.edu
Gustav-Stresemann-Ring 3
65189 Wiesbaden